Sunday, October 9, 2011

Brussel Sprouts in Brussels

Last night we had a delicious brussel sprout soup made by a friend of the couple I'm staying with. I know many people don't like brussel sprouts, but I actually don't mind them and would much prefer to have brussels in Brussels than mussels in Brussels!


This was a sort of after-dinner small evening meal. After dinner the sprouts were picked right from the jardin (did I mention that I'm in French speaking territory now?) in the back. The wonderful chef prepared the soup to absolute perfection- really. On top was a bit of chopped up sprouts and smoked duck sauteed in butter (similar to bacon), which made for a perfect crunch and texture to balance the smoothness of the soup. It was salted and seasoned (from some Szechuan pepper spice) just right, creamy (from creme fraiche), hearty (from potatoes), and fresh (from the brussel sprouts). C'etait parfait!

P.S. I can understand the spoken French and write little phrases much more than I can speak it... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment